Issued to US forces beginning in
1951, the M30 gradually replaced the M2.
The propelling charge consisted of
a number of increments of propellent powder in the
form of square sheets assembled on the cartridge
container. When the round was inserted into the
bore and released, it slid to the bottom where the
firing pin drove the striker into the primer of the
ignition cartridge. Flame from the ignition
cartridge flashed through vents in the cartridge
container extension to ignite the propellant, thus
firing the round.
Because of its size and weight, the
weapon was used as Regimental artillery, often
vehicle mounted, and was invaluable as support for
Image on right: Heavy
Mortar Co., 38th Regiment, U.S. 2d Infantry
Division, firing an M30 4.2 Chemical mortar at
Communist positions on Hill 773 near Yanggu, Korea,
13 August 1951.