King George V: A bareheaded effigy, in Field Marshal's
uniform, facing left, and the legend:
GEORGEIVS V BRITT:
OMN: REX ET IND: IMP:
King George VI:A crowned effigy,
facing left, and one of the legends:
(a) GEORGEIVS VI
D: G: BR: OMN: REX ET INDIAE IMP: (for WWII)
GEORGEIVS VI DEI GRA: BRITT: OMN: REX FID: DEF: (for
Queen Elizabeth II: A crowned effigy,
facing right, and the legend:
ELIZABETH II D: G: BR:
OMN: REGINA R: D:
The reverse shows FOR/BRAVERY/IN THE/FIELD in four lines,
encircled by a laurel wreath and surmounted by the Royal
Cypher and Imperial Crown.
An ornate scroll suspender is attached to the medal with a
A dark blue ribbon, 1.25 inches wide, with five equal
centre stripes of white, red, white, red, and white (0.125"
The regimental or equivalent number, rank, initials,
surname and unit of the recipient appear in plain block
capitals around the edge of the medal.
The medal was instituted on 25 March 1916.