back CONTENTS next

B A T T L E F I E L D    K O R E A

MORRISON, Edward John, Sergeant (3/1967),
3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, 1953

On the night of 24/25 January 1953, Sergeant Morrison was in command of a small patrol detailed to move deep into enemy lines to take prisoners. Sergeant Morrison reached his objective-a communication trench approximately 1,500 yards into enemy territory-and entered the trench to investigate. The patrol came upon two enemy soldiers who gave the alarm. Sergeant Morrison himself killed both the enemy soldiers and then withdrew his patrol under machine-gun fire and rifle fire which was coming from a second enemy position. As Sergeant Morrison was withdrawing from his objective a neighboring patrol was attacked by an estimated company-sized group of enemy. Sergeant Morrison immediately contacted a third patrol and, taking control of the composite force of eighteen men, went to the assistance of the other patrol. As they approached the firefight a further enemy party of twenty approached from the rear. Sergeant Morrison formed his men into a fire position and, withholding his fire until the enemy was no more than eight feet away, opened fire with such devastating effect that all twenty of the enemy soldiers were killed without firing a shot. So close were they, in fact, that the leading enemy fell dead among the patrol. At this stage the hill feature occupied by the first patrol was completely overrun and the enemy diverted his force towards Sergeant Morrison's group. Sergeant Morrison then moved onto the higher ground and awaited the enemy approach. A party of six enemy soldiers approached from the rear and Sergeant Morrison and one non-commissioned officer killed all six at close combat range. The enemy then commenced a series of attacks up the ridge towards Sergeant Morrison's group, at the same time endeavouring to out-flank the patrol with a second force. Each time the enemy attacked, Sergeant Morrison personally led a charge of automatic weapons into the enemy attacking force then, in the respite that this attack afforded, quickly moved his patrol further up the ridgeline to counter the enemy movement. Each time he moved, Sergeant Morrison picked up his wounded and carried them on. After the fourth attack the enemy broke contact and Sergeant Morrison led his patrol safely back to his own lines having killed fifty of the enemy. By the exercise of most skilful, cool and aggressive leadership, Sergeant Morrison was able to extricate his patrol from a perilous position and withdraw it to safety, while his superb personal courage and splendid example inspired his men to continue to inflict heavy casualties on the enemy throughout the action.

OPIE, Leonard Murray, Corporal (4/400006),
3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, 1950

During the advance of the 27th British Commonwealth Brigade north-east of Chipyong Ni, 3 RAR was held up by an enemy strong point-feature 614. On two occasions attacks were made in an attempt to dislodge the enemy from the feature, but owing to his strong defensive position they proved unsuccessful. On the morning


© Australian Album ©