back CONTENTS next

B A T T L E F I E L D    K O R E A

assigned objectives. The leading company of Colonel Green's battalion came under fire from each side of the road and from the rear soon after passing through Yongyu. Colonel Green immediately deployed a second company to seize high ground on the right of the road. Even though the men of the second company came under fire from the rear, they continued to advance, killing approximately seventy enemy soldiers. Mortar fire then began falling in the company areas, followed by shellfire. A third company was deployed to follow the second and to clear the high ground, while the fourth company was deployed to clear an orchard on the left of the road and follow up the action of the leading company. Troops of the fourth company killed about twelve enemy soldiers and continued to advance. Colonel Green then moved his small tactical headquarters into an orchard and was immediately attacked by the enemy. Colonel Green and his small contingent of troops engaged the enemy in fierce combat, killing thirty-four enemy soldiers. Three of Colonel Green's personal staff were wounded. Colonel Green continued his drive with unrelenting force through intense small arms, mortar and shell fire, until his battalion made contact with the airborne troops at 12.30. In this action Colonel Green's men killed over 200 enemy soldiers, despite the fact that he was unable to use either his artillery or mortars because of uncertainty regarding the position of friendly troops. The superb leadership, daring tactics and cool courage displayed by Colonel Green in deploying his units, coupled with his complete disregard for his own safety, resulted in a victory for his command. This action materially contributed to the successful prosecution of the campaign against an armed enemy of the UN, and was in keeping with the highest traditions of military service.

JONES, Jeffrey, Corporal (2/3321),
3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, 1950

Corporal Jones, B Company, 3 RAR, 27 British Commonwealth Brigade, distinguished himself by gallantry in action against an armed enemy in the vicinity of Pakchon, Korea, on 6 November 1950. B Company was ordered to assault and capture a hill dominating the main road south of Pakchon. The enemy, both Chinese Communist Forces and North Koreans, were firmly entrenched on this commanding ground and fought tenaciously to prevent its capture. As the platoon neared the objective, the officer leading was killed. Corporal Jones immediately took command and, displaying outstanding initiative and leadership, continued to direct the attack. Despite the precipitous slopes of the hill and the effects of constant heavy machine-gun and mortar fire, he moved from section to section controlling and directing his platoon's fire. Against overwhelming odds, through his personal leadership and after five hours of bitter fighting, Corporal Jones's platoon seized its objective, killing 63 enemy soldiers and capturing numerous enemy weapons and equipment. Corporal Jones's action in immediately assuming command during a critical attack and successfully leading his platoon to victory against immense odds was a source of inspiration to those who served alongside him or heard of his courage under fire.

© Australian Album ©