back CONTENTS next

B A T T L E F I E L D    K O R E A

STANLEY, Arthur George, Sergeant (Temporary Warrant Officer Class 2)(2/1116),
3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, 1951

Throughout his twelve months' service with 3 RAR, Warrant Officer Stanley displayed courage and ability of a very high order. During Operation Commando in October 1951, Warrant Officer Stanley was company sergeant-major of C Company against heavy opposition. During this attack, Warrant Officer Stanley proved to be an outstanding soldier, remaining cool and extremely efficient despite the mortaring, shelling and small arms fire to which the company was subjected. He proved himself of invaluable assistance to his company commander. Throughout the reorganisation on Point 317, Warrant Officer Stanley was exposed to heavy shelling as he moved constantly about the position supervising the resupply of ammunition and evacuation of casualties, which he did without regard for his own safety. During the latter part of this action, Warrant Officer Stanley was evacuated unconscious as a result of shell blast. He returned to his company, however, in the very minimum time, to resume his duties, though obviously still unwell. Again, in January 1952, during a raid against Point 227, Warrant Officer Stanley displayed the same outstanding qualities. His efficiency and courage under fire contributed significantly to the smooth functioning of the operation, particularly in the evacuation of casualties. Warrant Officer Stanley was an excellent example and inspiration to the remainder of the battalion, and consistently displayed outstanding zeal, efficiency and courage.

STRONG, Rex William, Sergeant (3/2053),
3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, 1951

Sergeant Strong was a mortar fire controller attached to B Company, 3 RAR, during Operation Commando (1-8 October 1951) and its subsequent operations. During an action on the morning of 5 October 1951, the B Company signaller was wounded and Sergeant Strong took over as company signaller while still acting as mortar fire controller. On the morning of 6 October 1951, B Company exploited forward of Point 317 and, during the battle, the company sergeant-major was mortally wounded. Sergeant Strong, on his own initiative, took over the duties of company sergeant- major. Despite the heavy shelling and presence of enemy snipers, he arranged the evacuation of the many casualties and resupply of ammunition, frequently exposing himself to enemy fire in order to do so. In the temporary absence of his company commander he passed situation reports over the rear link to the battalion commander, at all times providing calm and reliable reports. During a heavy enemy counterattack on the night of 7/8 October, Sergeant Strong frequently left his weapon pit in order to check the requirements of the forward elements. He continued to perform the duties of company sergeant-major until reorganisation, when he took over the duties of company quartermaster sergeant and remained forward with the company. Because of the shortage of personnel, he also continued his duties as mortar fire controller. Throughout the operation, during which more than half the company was killed or wounded, Sergeant Strong's courage, judgement and initiative were an inspiration to all.


© Australian Album ©