back CONTENTS next

B R I T I S H     I M P E R I A L    D E C O R A T I O N S

position before he himself withdrew from the area. Through his personal courage and disregard for his own safety he significantly contributed to maintaining the momentum of the assault. He set a splendid example to his men and infused them with a determination which contributed largely to the success of the operation.

MAGUIRE, Thomas William, Corporal (1/2303),
3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, 1953

Corporal Maguire was a section commander at the time his unit was occupying The Hook sector in July 1953. Throughout this period he displayed exceptional qualities of leadership, courage and devotion to duty, commanding a number of patrols. On one occasion the patrol task was to move out along Green Finger ridge to the highest point. As it neared the top, the patrol was engaged by an unknown number of enemy soldiers with grenades and small arms fire. One member of the patrol was killed and Corporal Maguire himself was wounded; however, the patrol immediately engaged the enemy with automatic fire till the enemy soldiers withdrew. Corporal Maguire then directed artillery fire onto the enemy's likely withdrawal routes. Corporal Maguire then reorganised his patrol and the evacuation of the deceased member. He refused to leave his patrol until some time later when he was overcome by his wounds, by which time another non-commissioned officer had taken command of the patrol. This was typical of the way in which Corporal Maguire had handled numerous patrols, displaying the highest qualities of leadership and a complete disregard for his own safety.

MENE, Charlie, Private (1/9942),
1st Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, 1952

Corporal Mene enlisted in the Army in 1940, joining this unit in 1945 and earning a reputation as an outstandingly loyal and efficient soldier. He proved himself an excellent leader and a very cool and courageous non-commissioned officer. During a daylight raid on HILL 227 (CT 160189) on 2 July 1952, Corporal Mene's section was tasked with holding the left of the crest line. This area was under continuous heavy enemy machine-gun and mortar fire. For ninety minutes Corporal Mene moved coolly amongst his men, giving them encouragement, and only withdrawing his section when ordered to do so. His conduct was an inspiration to young soldiers under fire for the first time. On the night of 11/12 August 1952, Corporal Mene took command of an ambush patrol while the patrol commander and a small party moved forward on a reconnaissance. During his commander's absence a party of the enemy approached. Corporal Mene held his fire until the enemy was about two feet from his ambush when he ordered his men to open fire. Six enemy soldiers were killed, allowing the reconnaissance party to rejoin the patrol. Further parties of enemy approached and the patrol came under fire from three sides. During the subsequent withdrawal, which was closely followed by the enemy, Corporal Mene's coolness and


© Australian Album ©