back CONTENTS next

B A T T L E F I E L D    K O R E A

group in small attacks to relieve pressure on the other group, despite the fact that he himself was wounded in the latter stages of the action. He also controlled the evacuation of the wounded men of the patrol and, at times, fought directly over the bodies of the wounded men lying on the ground. On one occasion when his patrol commander was experiencing difficulties, Corporal Mackay went to his assistance, personally killing four of the enemy in hand-to-hand fighting. Throughout the whole of the action Corporal Mackay, through his aggressive spirit and quick decisions, set a magnificent example to his men and did much to extricate the patrol from enemy territory under very difficult conditions.

McMURRAY, Charlie Francis, Private (2/989),
3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, 1950

On the morning of 22 October 1950, Private McMurray was a member of a C Company platoon located near Yongju which assaulted an enemy position on the right flank of the main axis of advance to the junction with the US 11th Airborne Division. Private McMurray was subject to heavy fire for two hours and displayed utter disregard for his personal safety. During the assault by his platoon he moved forward, bayoneting and shooting a number of the enemy. Throughout the engagement his courage and determination were an inspiration to the younger and more inexperienced men of his platoon.

McNULTY, Edward John, Corporal (Temporary Sergeant) (2/4880),
1st Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, 1952

On the night of 10/11 December 1952, Sergeant McNulty commanded the reserve section and the assault pioneer group of the force which assaulted enemy positions on 'Flora' (CT 161208). As the force approached the objective it came under heavy enemy small arms and grenade fire. It quickly became apparent that the enemy holding the position was in far greater strength than anticipated. Sergeant McNulty's force was immediately committed in a mopping-up role. With his small party he searched for and located many enemy shelters and bunkers, inflicting casualties and serious material damage on the enemy. It was due to his energetic and courageous action during this period that many enemy posts, which had been bypassed in the initial assault, were destroyed, thus keeping friendly casualties to a minimum. As his force cleared the objective, an enemy machine-gun opened up, wounding one man. Sergeant McNulty helped to move the wounded man to safety but, in doing so, was struck by a bullet, which was fortunately deflected by his armored jacket. With complete disregard for his own safety and despite being shaken by his near miss, he personally assaulted the position with grenades and killed the crew. He then began the collection of wounded in the area, moving freely through the enemy defensive fire that was now beginning to fall. When the order for the withdrawal was given, Sergeant McNulty checked his troops through and waited until all had cleared the


© Australian Album ©