back CONTENTS next

B R I T I S H     I M P E R I A L    D E C O R A T I O N S

HARRIS, Alfred Martin, Sergeant (3/833),
Australian Intelligence Corps (attached 3 RAR Headquarters, 1 Commonwealth Division), 1953

Sergeant Harris made eleven trips into enemy territory as non-commissioned officer in charge of the Divisional Agent Detachment, either to show new agents routes or on special reconnaissance. In late June 1953, after several new agent groups had been forced back by both the enemy's alertness and by the dangerous flood conditions of the River Samichon, Sergeant Harris decided that the only way to get his men across no man's land and gather badly needed information, was to take them himself. At 9.30 p.m. on 2 July 1953, he led a group of new agents into no man's land and onto the flooded, fast running River Samichon. Sergeant Harris first swam the river taking a guide rope line with him and then helped his men across. Next he split his men into two groups of two and made for the anti-tank ditch some 1,500 yards inside the enemy's forward defence lines where previous agents had encountered opposition. On reaching this obstacle, Sergeant Harris and his partner came under fire from small arms and grenades. The agent was instantly killed and Sergeant Harris was wounded in the hand and thigh. Sergeant Harris however, appreciating that his other group had not been detected, drew the attention of the enemy to himself by returning the fire with pistol and grenades until his ammunition was gone. After a few minutes the enemy fire became too heavy and Sergeant Harris dived into the river and let the current take him out of range. By thus drawing attention to himself, Sergeant Harris ensured that the other agents could get through and they eventually returned with much useful information. Sergeant Harris displayed outstanding courage and determination at all times. It was due mainly to this non-commissioned officer's gallant conduct and efficiency that the Divisional Agent Detachment was able to operate with such success.

HOLDEN, Leo Clarence, Lance Corporal (2/1838),
3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, 1952

Until evacuated wounded in action in September 1952, Lance Corporal Holden displayed outstanding qualities of leadership and initiative as a rifleman and secondin-command of a rifle section. He took part in the B Company attack on Point 75 on 13/14 August 1952, as a result of which he was promoted to the rank of lance corporal due to the qualities of initiative and complete disregard for personal safety that he displayed throughout the action. On the night of 28/29 September 1952, this noncommissioned officer was second-in-command of a patrol which set an ambush in front of friendly positions. At 7.45 p.m., a strong party of enemy, later established as a company, moved into the ambush on a wide front. A fierce fight ensued and early in the action Lance Corporal Holden was wounded in both legs. Despite this, he retained control of his section and continued to take part in the firefight. By the time the withdrawal was eventually ordered the patrol had suffered a further three casualties. These casualties were evacuated under escort ahead of the remainder of the patrol,


© Australian Album ©