back CONTENTS next

B A T T L E F I E L D    K O R E A

(then Corporal) Diggs set an unparalleled example of devotion to duty by working almost continuously for a period of 42 hours repairing the damage. The courage, determination and powers of physical endurance displayed by Sergeant Diggs have at all times been beyond praise and have served as an outstanding inspiration and example to all ranks of his battalion.

DUNQUE, Ronald Edward, Private (3/2196),
3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, 1951

Private Dunque was a stretcher-bearer attached to D Company, 3 RAR. During heavy enemy attacks on 8 Section, 12 Platoon, Private Dunque was treating casualties inflicted on the section. There were six casualties in the section and Private Dunque made six separate trips treating and evacuating casualties under heavy enemy fire. As he evacuated the last casualty Private Dunque was wounded in the temple by an enemy grenade. Despite his injury, he continued with the evacuation. Later in the day, while attending casualties in 10 Platoon after a mistaken Napalm bombing on the company position, he was wounded in the leg by an exploding grenade set off by the flames racing through his position. Private Dunque refused to be evacuated and stayed on duty allowing the more serious cases to be carried to safety. He marched out on a six-hour trek during the company was withdrawal, providing great inspiration to all ranks and stretcher-bearers who were carrying the wounded through most difficult terrain.

EVERLEIGH, Cecil James, Corporal (Temporary Sergeant) (2/400234),
3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, 1951

On 5 October 1951, during the attack on Hill 317, Temporary Sergeant Everleigh was platoon sergeant of 3 Platoon, A Company. The platoon was tasked with securing feature 184211 which was heavily bunkered and held by an unknown number of enemy soldiers. The approach was also under fire from high ground to the north-west and the area had been under mortar and shell fire. Sergeant Everleigh's conduct was inspiring both prior to the platoon assault and during the attack involving the left leading section. On reaching the line of bunkers, the Chinese hurriedly pulled back. Sergeant Everleigh carried the attack through the objective with great vigour. While the section was flushing the bunkers, Sergeant Everleigh went on alone and dispersed the enemy on the reverse slope showing complete disregard for his own safety. This action prevented any immediate counter-attack by the enemy at a critical stage. Throughout the operation, Sergeant Everleigh displayed outstanding leadership and personal courage and instilled confidence and aggressiveness in the men of his platoon.


© Australian Album ©