back CONTENTS next

B R I T I S H     I M P E R I A L    D E C O R A T I O N S

enemy dead and destroying considerable amounts of enemy equipment. Throughout the operation Corporal Davie displayed outstanding leadership and courage, showing complete disregard for his personal safety, and was an inspiration to his own section and the remainder of his platoon.

DAVIES, Cecil Ernest, Private (Temporary Sergeant) (2/401090),
3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, 1953

During Sergeant Davies' service with the battalion he took part in many patrols, on numerous occasions as patrol commander, and displayed outstanding qualities of courage and determination at all times. On the night of 22/23 January 1953, hearing that a patrol had entered a minefield and had sustained two casualties, Sergeant Davies, who knew the general boundary of the minefield which was sited some 400 yards forward of his section position, immediately went to the scene of the incident. On arriving at the outer limit of the minefield, he commenced to clear a path towards the casualties but found that, owing to the frozen state of the ground, it was impossible to locate the mines by prodding with the bayonet. Sergeant Davies then proceeded to clear a safe passage through the minefield by stamping his feet on the ground knowing full well that one soldier had already been killed and another seriously wounded by a mine which had exploded after being walked on in the same minefield. By this means he cleared a path approximately 30 yards in length. On reaching the position at which the wounded man lay, Sergeant Davies hoisted him onto his back and then crawled back along the path he had previously beaten out, using his own body as a shield for the wounded soldier in the event of another explosion. The supreme courage and devotion to duty which Sergeant Davies displayed on this occasion was typical of his behaviour throughout the whole period and gained him the highest respect of his company.

DIGGS, Thomas, Lance Corporal (Temporary Sergeant) (2/401127),
3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment, 1952

Sergeant Diggs joined the battalion in November 1952, serving as a rifleman, section commander and platoon sergeant. During his service in Korea he took part in over thirty patrols and, on all occasions, displayed courage, initiative and devotion to duty of a very high order. On one occasion, Sergeant (then Corporal) Diggs was in command of a patrol which, on approaching the location of a proposed ambush, was fired on by an enemy patrol which was already in position. The ensuing firefight was coolly and capably controlled by Sergeant Diggs who, after inflicting heavy casualties on the enemy with small arms fire, showing great coolness, withdrew with his own dead and wounded to a position of observation from which he directed artillery fire onto the enemy ambush. In July 1953, his platoon position on Point 159 was so severely damaged by torrential rain and enemy shell fire that the defensive works provided little or no security against an enemy attack. On this occasion Sergeant


© Australian Album ©